The RYA Competent Crew course, as well as being fun, will show you how to become a useful crew member on a sailing yacht.
For those who have never sailed before, or even if you have but never really understood what was going on, this is the perfect introduction to sailing. You will be amazed how much you learn in your week long adventure living on board the yacht, sailing from Gibraltar to marinas in Spain and Africa. We guarantee you will learn to sail in a safe environment with a caring professional RYA Instructor.
Competent crew courses available every week all year: Sunday 6pm to Friday pm.
THE RYA COMPETENT CREW PRACTICAL COURSE WILL COVER:
- Being Safe while sailing and knowing what to do in an Emergency.
- Preparing the yacht for sea – important stuff – not just making the sandwiches.
- Sailing – learning to sail and read the wind so the sails are in the right position. Sail Handling (putting the sails up and down and changing the size of the sail for the wind conditions)
- Knots and knowing when to use which knot (this will come in handy even when you are not sailing).
- Helming – that means steering the yacht with the wheel, if you are good we will even let you have a go at mooring (parking) the yacht.
- Rules of the Road – knowing who gives way to who at sea.
- Terminology – learning the names for everything so you don’t look silly calling the galley a kitchen and your cabin a bedroom.