The RYA Yachtmaster Fast Track is a complete full-time training package designed to take you from basic seamanship skills through to Skippering confidently and passing the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore exam. Ideal for those looking for a career in the professional yachting industry, or leisure sailors wanting to achieve the highest competence quickly. Trafalgar Sailing instructors are highly experienced yachtmaster instructors, specially chosen for their sailing ability, teaching style and character. Gibraltar is a great place to learn to sail and start your sailing career.
What we guarantee on your Fast track Yachtmaster:
1, Accommodation, Food/drinks, bedding, mooring fees, fuel, taxes, safety equipment, books, charts, navigation tools, First aid, VHF course, Day skipper and Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper shore based courses, RYA logbook and Yachtmaster exam fee included.
2, Your yacht will be a Bavaria 38 or similar.
3, Your R.Y.A. Instructor will have many years of experience sailing and teaching.
4, Maximum 4-5 students per yacht.
5, You pay £1000 deposit and the balance one month before the course starts.
6, You will sail a minimum of 2500 sea miles and required 60 mile passages as Skipper.
7, We have helped many of our Fast Track students find jobs in the sailing industry by giving introductions and references, as we have made many contacts over the years.
8, RYA Shore based courses are done online beforehand (included in the price). You have 6 months to complete the online RYA courses before you arrive. You can start that as soon as you pay the deposit.
9. We don’t just get you through the Yachtmaster exam to get the ticket. We prepare you to become the Master of a yacht with the knowledge and skills required to achieve this.
Although Gibraltar, Spain and Portugal are sunny and fun, this is not a holiday, it is an intensive 14 week sail training course designed to make you a stronger, safer sailor. If you have the right attitude, you will learn loads from our Instructors. Gibraltar has great wind thanks to the mountain range either side of the Straits, there are tidal waters, busy shipping lanes and a variety of destinations to visit.
THE RYA YACHTMASTER FAST TRACK COURSE WILL COVER:
- Competent crew Knots. Yacht preparation. Helming. Deck work. Terminology. Sail Handling. Tender. Safety. Man overboard drills.
- Day Skipper shore based course Pilotage. Tidal Navigation. Meteorology. Maintenance. Engines. Emergency situations. Watchkeeping. Rules of the Road.
- Day Skipper practical Pilotage, tidal navigation, seamanship, meteorology and engine maintenance in practice. Seamanship. Boat handling under sail and motor. Passage planning. Night sailing. VHF training. Vitualling and food hygiene at sea.
- Yachtmaster Coastal Skipper shore based course Position, Dead reckoning, Estimated position, Satellite derived position, Waypoints, Radar, Magnetic Compass, Variation, Different types of Compass, Tidal navigation, Standard and secondary ports, Tidal streams, Buoyage, Lights, Pilotage, Harbour regulations and control signals, clearing lines, Use of soundings, Transits, GNSS and Chart Plotters, Raster and Vector charts, The importance of paper charts, Echo sounders.
- Coastal Skipper practical course Passage planning, Preparations for Sea, Pilotage, Passage Skippering, taking charge of crew, cruising navigation with electronics and paper charts using waypoints and routes, Being aware of meteorological trends, Yacht handling under power, control of yacht in a confined space, Picking up a Mooring bow or stern to, Mediterranean style moorings, Yacht handling under sail in various wind and current conditions, Picking up a mooring under sail, Sailing on all points of sail including downwind techniques with a cruising chute, Coping with adverse weather conditions and restricted visibility, Preparing Storm Gib sail or heavy weather, Blind navigation, Emergency situations, Understanding life rafts, life jackets, helicopter and lifeboat rescue, cold water shock, Man over board procedures under motor and sail.
- 2500 sea miles. Passages to Med and Atlantic Spain, Portugal and Balearic Islands.
- 60 miles passages as Skipper.
- VHF course Radio operation, Frequencies (channels), Distress calls and procedures, Ship to shore calls. Digital Selective Calling (DSC), Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), Search and Rescue (SART). £60 RYA license fee not included.
- First Aid One day course MCA and Health and Safety Executive approved.
- Professional Practices and responsibilities. Online course and exam
- Yacht Maintenance.
- Yachtmaster Offshore exam preparation week The Yachtmaster Offshore exam is independently examined by an R.Y.A. examiner. The exam takes between 6 to 8 hours per person and sail during the day and night. You will be given tasks to demonstrate your ability and asked questions by the examiner on any part of the syllabus of all the RYA practical and shore based courses up to Coastal Skipper level. The Yachtmaster offshore exam fee £231 is included in the price.
Go sailing and see the world! Keep an eye on our Facebook page for people looking for crew. Spring time many yachts are passing Gibraltar from the Caribbean into the Mediterranean for the season.
If you want a career in the yachting industry as a Charter Skipper, Delivery Skipper, Teaching or private yacht skipper then we recommend you do the STCW95 courses in Gibraltar and get your Yachtmaster commercially endorsed.
If you dream is to cross oceans you can learn to use a sextant and Astro navigation on the Yachtmaster Ocean theory course.